Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pity or Purpose?

Today was rough I must admit. I was sure God had somehow forgotten me. I was sure I couldn't take one more day. I decided to ask God for an encouraging word - something I rarely do. I am shamed to say I hardly ever ask God for something, I mostly expect it. Thinking He knows all I need or want anyway so I neglect to ask Him. In His word He tells us to ask and we shall receive, why don't I ask? I am sure there are many reasons that go thru my mind - I am not worthy, I dont deserve it, He should know anyway, if He really wanted to me to have it He would give it without me having to ask. None of that is true! A dear friend reminded me today that we have a relationship with God and just as we ask for things in an earthly relationship, we need to ask things in our heavenly relationship. So today I asked and I received!! God worked through someone to bring encouragement to me today and to remind me that my value is in Him! She reminded me that I am loved by God and that is all that matters. That is doesn't matter what other people think. He is ALL I need! I have this head knowledge, but today it reached my heart! I was also reading My Utmost For His Highest devotional today and I felt it speak to my heart once again. The title was "The Holy Suffering of the Saint" and the verse was 1 Peter 4:19, "Let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good..." Here are some excerpts from my devotional. "No normal, healthy saint ever chooses suffering; he simply chooses Gods will, just as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not. And no saint should ever dare to interfere with the lesson of suffering being taught in another saint's life. The saint who satisfies the heart of Jesus will make other saints strong and mature for God. But the people used to strengthen us are never those who sympathize with us; in fact, we are hindered by those who give us their sympathy, because sympathy only serves to weaken us. No one better understands a saint than the saint who is as close and as intimate with Jesus as possible". I was reminded in reading this passage that I must be careful who I share my thoughts, feelings, hurts, ups and downs with. I need to be built up, encouraged and sometimes rebuked.. but sympathy will do nothing for me except bring about self-pity. God places His saints where they will bring the most glory to Him, and we are totally incapable of judging where that may be. I was reminded today that I am exactly where He wants me to be. He cares about every little detail of my life and He will see me through. I can either sit here and pity my situation, my circumstances, my life.. or I can discover Gods purpose for putting me in this circumstance, this life and this situation.

"Lord help me fulfill your purpose for my life instead of having a pity party. And thank you for answering me when I call on you! Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment