Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gossip

We all have at some point and time in our lives participated in gossip in some form or another. We are human and so therefore we make mistakes. However, I am saddened by just how often Christian's participate in gossip. I was taught that the definition of gossip is this, "Sharing information with someone (no matter who it is- family member or friend) who is not part of the problem or the solution." I believe there are many times we need someone to bounce our frustrations off of, to hear us out.. etc and although they may not be part of the problem.. they can be a part of the solution by pointing you in the right direction with your frustration or anger. We all need someone who we can talk to and share our burdens, hurts and concerns.. but we dont need a crowd! Proverbs 16:28 says, "A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip seperates close friends." Proverbs 18:8 says, "The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts." Proverbs 26:20 says, "Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down." These verses are very clear about God's opinion on gossip. I have seen these verses come to life this week. I must admit it is very hurtful to be on the end of one being gossipped about.. but there is nothing we suffer that God himself has not endured. Even He was riduculed and despised by those who He loved and called "friends". If nothing else this week I have learned how important it is to have friends who are not gossips. I do not want to associate myself with someone who just chatters bad about someone just to feel good or to find others who will make him/her feel good. I want to share my burdens, concerns, frustrations with someone who knows how to point me to Christ. Someone who doesn't just yes me because I am their friend, agree with me because they feel they have no freedom to do anything else.. I want a friend to tell me when there is truth in something and point me to the cross. I also want to be that friend to someone else. I was reminded of the verse in the New Testament which says, "For I am afraid when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder", 2 Corinthians 12:20. Even Paul was afraid that is what the church would look like when he came back to it. I pray that we as God's children can walk more closely in His ways and avoid the snares of gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment