Friday, January 14, 2011

Turning the Other Cheek

So, we read the Bible right? We desire to honor Yahweh in all we do, right? We know that the Messiah lives in us and we are to be His hands and feet on earth, right? This popular line is everywhere "WWJD" - what would Jesus do? Well, I prefer to think of it as this, "WDJD" - What DID Jesus (Y'shua) do? Well for goodness sakes my dear friends take out your Bibles and read them!

"You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have you cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." Matt 5:38-41 (ESV)

"You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy, But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you....for if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?" Matt 5:43-45, 46-47 (ESV)

"Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you, falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matt 5:11-12 (ESV)

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them." Rom 12:14 (ESV)

"Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord. To the contrary; if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Rom 12:17-21 (ESV)


This is what our Messiah did! This is what He clearly told us to do! Why do we not do this? Because it is hard, because it goes against the flesh, human nature. But I tell you, I have become a changed person in these past few months. I have such a desire and hunger to follow my Messiah that I want these verses to become a reality in my life. Sure I have heard them before and sure I have told others they should do this good stuff, but I was guilty of saying but not doing. I was guilty of being a hearer of the Word and not a Doer! Father forgive me!

In these past few months I have had many a situation occur in which I was mistreated, talked poorly about and falsely accused. Instead of turning the other cheek, I reacted! I made sure I said my two cents and let those people know how they hurt me. While I felt good momentarily better for defending myself and making sure they heard me "say my peace", later on I knew this was NOT would Jesus would have done. I knew better in my heart. Eventually I realized that I needed to pray for these people. After all, that's what my Messiah said to do. So I began my prayer for them half choking bitterly on my words, "Dear Lord, be with _____ , Amen." I barely could say their names and certainly didn't want to pray for too much good to happen to them cause they had wronged me! They didn't deserve to have things go well. Then my Messiah gently whispered in my ear, "I said to BLESS them! Not just "pray" for them, you need to pray blessings over them". What? Are you kidding me? Please you have to be joking with me? You can't expect me to pray for them to be blessed, can you? I knew the answer, it was a firm and resounding, YES! I took a deep breath and began to pray.. oh how I fought my flesh.. but finally I uttered words that changed my life, "My dear heavenly Father, Bless ____, their finances, their family, their marriage, bless their life! Amen." WOW!!!! I couldn't believe I uttered those words! One of the most freeing moments in my life! To love the unlovable, to pray and bless those who had hurt me! I stand here amazed to say that Yahweh was NOT finished with me yet. Sure I had prayed for them, sure I had now blessed them but now He was ready for me to give them my cloak also, to go that second mile. In the still of the night He spoke very clearly what I must do -- what gift I must give them. Give them a gift? Yes, and I didn't resist this time. I was to show them my Messiah, I was to be authentic, I was to practice what I had preached! I obeyed Him with a cheerful attitude. The feelings are indescribable! I am free! Thank you Yahweh for doing a work in me that only YOU could do! I am forever changed and forever grateful!

I am a work in progress I can assure you. I did not share this in any way to boast about me, but rather to boast about my Messiah and how free He can make you when you follow His ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment