Friday, January 7, 2011

Modesty For the Christian Woman

"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children. To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of ELOHIYM be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5 (KJV)

"And so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled." Titus 2:4-5 (ESV)

The more I study the Scriptures the more the Holy Spirit has impressed things on me in conviction and also impressed on me to share them with others. Only the Holy Spirit can convict a person on something and I am not writing this to be the Holy Spirit in your life at all. I am just writing what He has placed on my heart.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines Modesty as this, "a reserve or propriety in speech, dress or behavior. As you can see modesty is not just about what you wear, but its about what you are. Modesty is the voluntary personal responsibility to behave and dress in such a manner as to not purposely draw attention to oneself, to not think proudly of oneself and its decision to protect from purposeful or "unintended" enticement in inappropriate ways and places. This is crucial for the a follower of the Messiah; first and foremost because we're representatives of Yeshua and secondly, if we are married, we're a reflection of our husband.

It is critical to pay attention to the message and the signal our clothing is sending and to make sure, very sure, that the message is in line with the Scriptures.

Modesty is an attitude of humility that seeks to please YHWH rather than man or self. It is characterized by restraint and self-control, and dignity in dress, speech and actions. Modesty is a product of pure thinking and is not determined by what you wear only. Although it is not true that modesty equals clothing, it is true that what we wear and how we wear it can be modest or immodest.

YHWH didn't give us a list of dress rules, He gave us principles from His word. Following a list is far easier than the difficult process of learning to apply principles. It is often a lazy substitute for the careful study and application of YHWH's Word. We should strive to be like the Bereans who were commended for their excited diligence in searching scripture to verify the truth that they were being shown.

Someone once said, "Preach the gospel everywhere you go, when necessary, use words." The picture we paint with our appearance is worth at least a thousand words!

I write this post because this is something that YHWH has been working on in my life. My mother always had strict modesty rules, but I rebelled from the rules when I left home. Now that I am a grown woman and am in the Word more often, I really am convicted about how my dress has been a bad testimony for YHWH to others around me. I believe we must dress as He would want us to and also in submission to our own husbands. For example, I know many friends who wear skirts and dresses only and while this is certainly fine, my husband prefers me to wear a mix of skirts and pants. I honor my husband by wearing a variety, but I honor YHWH by choosing modest pants and modest skirts and shirts.

Just some food for thought! Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment