Friday, January 7, 2011

Notes from my Transparenting Class - 1/5

My husband and I are attending a six week class called "Transparenting" and I thought I would share some of my notes with you if I have any that I feel are beneficial.

The first class posed this question, "What is your child's greatest spiritual threat?" He then proceeded to mention all the common things that parents think is their child's greatest spiritual threat. One was media. While media is awful and a recent survey claims that in 2008 - 70% of the TV programs had sexual content on them, this is not the greatest threat. There were other answers like Satan, friends and public educations. And while all of these might be contributors, he does not believe they pose the greatest threat. The greatest spiritual threat to your children is YOU! On the flip side, you are also your child's greatest spiritual asset!

Deuteronomy 32:46-47a says, "Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, and that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life..." (ESV)

Following Yeshua needs to be your life! You are the foundational teachers of your children's spirituality. Church staff is ONLY supplemental! And remember you can't teach a truth that you aren't living! Be careful NOT to compare your devotion to another's spiritually -- compare it to the Bible!

The goal is not external behavior but the heart! And remember, your convictions are more caught than taught!

No comments:

Post a Comment