Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Best Health Book Ever

"All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16-17 (ESV)

The more I have read the Scriptures, the more I have realized that the Bible is my personal road map to so many things. I knew I could read the Bible to obtain encouragement, guidance on handling a situation, or to further my spiritual growth. What I had failed to realize is that the Bible also gives me instruction on hygiene and even what to eat! I have always been fascinated with health since I was a little girl and I read tons of health books. But in all those years of reading and researching health, I never thought about picking up my Bible - the greatest source of wisdom in all areas! Over these past few months as I have been pouring over the Scriptures, I have come to realize that YHWH gave us specific guidelines as to what we can and cannot eat as His people. Although He doesn't have to have a reason for what He does, I can assure you that there are very good health reasons why you should not consume the foods that YHWH declared unclean.

"If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your YHWH and do what it is right in His eyes, if you pay attention to His commands and keep all His decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you." Exodus 15:26 (KJV)

The laws YHWH gave His people were both a method YHWH used to teach His people obedience and a way to spare them from many easily preventable illnesses and problems.

The hospitals in Vienna, Austria, had a problem. New mothers were dying at a rate of one in six! At the time - in the mid 1800's - physicians who had just examined the recent dead were entering the wards and examining the expectant mothers without washing their hands. This tragedy could have been avoided if the physicians of the day had known and followed the principle YHWH had laid down thousands of years earlier, as recorded in Numbers 19:11, "Whoever touches the dead body of anyone will be unclean for seven days." YHWH offered no explanation of this law. Had the physicians in Vienna simply obeyed it, however, hundreds of lives could have been spared.

"My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." Hos 4:6

YHWH outlines very clean laws concerning what is healthy and not healthy to eat. I want to share some of them with you in the next post. My eyes have been so opened in the past few weeks about all of this and I was so eager to share it! I encourage you to look at these Biblical laws for the purpose of glorifying YHWH through acknowledging His desire and design for our health. YHWH's laws work. The laws of science are consistent with the laws of Scripture. They are irrefutable. There are wise and unwise choices in the area of health just as there are in other areas of our lives.

I am reading a wonderful book called, "What the Bible says about Healthy Living". Much of my information in this post and the next one is obtained from this book. I have been told its no longer in print, but I am not sure. I have had this book for years (was originally my moms) and I have read it when I was younger, but this time around I am amazed at how much I am learning since being more into the Word of God prior to reading this book. There are three principles outlined in this book and I will share those with you as well as the "clean" and "unclean" meats in the next post. And I will also share with you the Creator of the universe and of each of us, knew what He was he doing when He made commands regarding food.

No comments:

Post a Comment