Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Radioactive Produce?

Wow I think I have heard it all... unless you are purchasing organic produce the produce you are buying in the grocery store has been irridiated (basically microwaved). We all know about limiting our exposure to xrays and such but how many of us even realize we are exposed to radiation just by eating fresh produce? Meat and Poultry is being irridiated and the radioactivity is 150 times more than that of a chest xray. I don't know about you but thats a scary thought to me! Not only does radiation cause a food to lose its nutrient content significantly but it also chemicals within the food causing potential carcinogens to be created. Now I know we can't all buy 100% organic (I know we can't) but lets be mindful when we pick out produce. If its only a few cents more for the organic version, buy it! The other day I bought bananas (one of the fruits you should buy organic due to mycotoxins in the non organic ones) and they were only 20cents more per pound for organic ones. That was an investment that was worth it and afforable. I also try to heat leftovers in the oven and on the stove. Think about our ancestors who did not have some of these modern conviences. I often think just how many of this modern conviences are a curse to our health and our generation. I try to plan ahead to I can thaw my meat overnight in the refrigerator rather than using the defrost portion of my microwave. I personally believe we are exposed to enough radiation in the enviroment that we have no control of ... so lets take control of what we can and lessen oru use of microwaves and eat more organic produce and meats. Now there is some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment