Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thankfulness

I have been doing lots of reseaching and studying on all different things these past few weeks but I have also been doing some researching of my own heart and soul. True thankfulness is not saying "thank yout" at the right moment or when something is given to you. True thankfulness is the type of gratitude that remains even when we are surrounded by misfortune and gratefulness seems almost comically out of place. As Christians we are called to be thankful IN all things, not FOR all things. Thankfulness is more of a process than a choice. Gratefulness for me is turning my worry into wonder and my anxiety into awe. I find myself having an ungrateful heart when finances are tight and I can't have everything I would like. However I am reminded that God has always provided for our needs and that is something to be eternally grateful about. I have seen miracles in relationships take place and that is something to be grateful about. If I sit down and make a list of everything I have to be grateful for I am sure my page would be overflowing. It is when I do not dwell on these blessings that I lose sight of true thankfulness. I plan on starting a Gratitude Journal so that I can be reminded daily of all the blessings I have to be thankful for. A scripture I would like to share with you comes from Psalm 145:13b-21 and it reads, "The Lord is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all those who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to You, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made. The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cry and saves them. The Lord watches over all who love Him, but all the wicked He will destroy. My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord. Let every creature praise His holy name for ever and ever." I Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." These scriptures have really spoken to my heart during this time in our lives. Though the road right now is not easy, I know God holds my hand and I am so thankful for everything He has blessed us with. I am not only thankful for the blessings but I am thankful for this current circumstances because it allows me to empathize with others, gives me a greater apprecaition for the little things and reminds me of just how dependant on Him I am. Thank you Lord!

2 comments: