Friday, July 23, 2010

Teaching The Kids Obedience/Discipling Us To Be Consistent!

For those of you who follow my blog or read it on any regular basis you will find this new entry's subject matter to be quite new. I have discovered that "Holistic" living is more than just eating... it involves emotional healthiness, boundary setting, healthy communication, parenting.. and the list goes on and on. For me to live holistically means having a delicate balance of all of these elements. Healthy eating in the midst of screaming at your children is not truly holistic living. Recently as my oldest has become more able to understand spiritual concepts, I have been trying to find ways to get his heart attitude right and now just his actions. I was reading alot and just had some thoughts I could share with you that I found helpful and maybe you could also. And please if you have any feedback.. I welcome it as we all can learn from eachother. The more I read the more I realized the the number one thing I need my children to learn is obedience. If a child can learn obedience then you as the parent have an advantage. And along with teaching obedience I have realized my own need for consistency. The degree of sucess I achieve will be directly related to how consistent I am. Consistency really means that every time your child requires correction, you get up and do it, remaining there to supervise and outlast until the message gets across. Resolve to make consistency your top priority! Stop running unnessary errands, over indulding in hobbies, making excessive social phone calls - set your mind diligently and consistently on training your children. Parenting will be far less a frustration to you, if you learn how to do it well, and if its not competing with everything else for your time and attention. You cannot enjoy the pleasures of a close, loving relationship with godly, well-behaved children, if you are not willing to make parenting them your top priority! Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Consistency is key to sucessfull parenting!

4 comments:

  1. I apologize but the word disciplining was spelled incorrectly in the post subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebekah :-) Thanks for the comments that you left on my blog. I blog because I think writing helps me find clarity, I blog publicly because I appreciate when connections are made with others. I enjoyed what I have read of your blog so far :-) P.S... My young daughters have recently started blogging... Child of Earthy Mother, Golden Sunset Moments, and Beautiful Earth... they encourage me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.P.S... You can go back into your post and edit the spelling...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks for that info :) And I will have to check out your childrens blogs when I get a chance. I love being able to express my feelings and thoughts by blogging.

    ReplyDelete